Ancaster is home to some of the most beautiful houses in Hamilton. From the gracious older homes of old Ancaster to delightful townhouses just off Wilson Street, to suburban developments located near one of the largest shopping areas in Hamilton, this community offers something for everyone. Established in 1792, Ancaster was originally called Wilson’s Mills and served as a key transportation route in Upper Canada, connecting the Niagara Peninsula with the northern interior. Competition from other communities resulted in a temporary decline in Ancaster’s fortunes. However, in 1907, a railway joining Ancaster to the employment centre of Hamilton began to change the character of the community. Residential areas were developed to cater to commuters traveling to and from Hamilton.
The community offers many amenities. The 21-metre ribbon waterfall at Tiffany Falls Conservation Area is one of the most beautiful of Hamilton’s 60 waterfalls. Ancaster’s Fieldcote Museum houses the Ancaster Historical Society and offers a varied program of musical entertainment during summer months. Redeemer University College provides a university-level liberal arts and science education which is scripturally-directed and explores the relation of faith, learning, and living from a Reformed Christian perspective. And The Hamilton Golf and Country Club, which located to Ancaster in 1914, was laid out by internationally known golf course designer, H.S. Colt. It is one of Canada’s finest golf courses and hosted the 2006 Canadian Open. Ancaster’s history, traditions and location add a special character to the City of Hamilton, of which it is an integral part.
• Old Town Hall (1871)
• Griffin House (1850)
• Fieldcote Memorial Park & Museum
Close to Meadowlands Power Centre, Ancaster Town Plaza and restaurants.